Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Summer Profiles: Sarah Robertson '10

Sarah Robertson ‘10
Math and Pre-Med

Where did you intern this summer?
This summer I worked at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, GA.

How did you find this internship?
I knew a few family friends who worked there. I spoke with them about their work, and I asked if they had any positions. I sent my resume in, and after answering a few of their questions they searched for an opening in my interest. They had a position, and I started working at the CDC.

How would your typical day go?
I would get in at 9 AM and go through security. In the morning I would work on my own projects. After lunch, we would have a group meeting where we discussed world events, their possible impact on public health, their prevalence to CDC, and if they should appear in our daily report. After these meetings I would either help compile the information from the meeting’s discussion into the next day’s report, or I would continue work on my projects.

What was your most interesting project?
I ran statistical analysis to determine the sound level differences in calls to the CDC. I found a correlation between the mainstream media reporting of a possible health emergency to the hotline traffic and caller noise level; one such example was the Tollhouse Cookie Dough incident over the summer. The mainstream media tended to be 2-3 days behind reporting on the incident than when our group in CDC became aware of the incident. I also helped to create a prediction of the number of H1N1 calls for this fall.

What advice do you have for others seeking internships?
Use whatever connections you have. Be polite and professional in any and all correspondence and answer emails promptly.

What were the other highlights of your summer experiences?
I had the opportunity to tour the Emergency Operation Center at the CDC’s main campus. I was also allowed to sit in on, via video feed, the CDC director’s weekly briefing of H1N1.